Play With Fire is the newest studio in Romania, part of Amber’s family, and we are currently growing our team to lead development on an unannounced new Single-Player IP on PC and Next-gen Consoles.
In this work from home era, we have found increasing success working with partners from a wide variety of disciplines. We believe that a talented, autonomous, Technical director can help us craft the game, help us identify short coming and work with discipline leads to establish and prioritize new game features.
In this role in particular, we are flexible and can accommodate candidates that work outside of Romania, so anyone who has the experience and is able to work comfortably in a remote environment on our schedule will be considered.
The successful candidate will be a senior engineer, with a deep passion for games and their connected discipline (Gameplay, Systems, AI, Rendering).
The position will implement compelling designs from conceptualization to implementation utilizing Unreal Engine 4 (UE4), oversee the engineering team and collaborate with design and Art/Animation teams to create varied and compelling gameplay across the full spectrum of the game.
Candidates must have a passion for designing, implementing, and maintaining gameplay systems and tools. Applicants should be enthusiastic about the opportunity to collaborate and lead other developers across disciplines, seek out opportunities to dive in, solve problems, and make improvements wherever necessary with maximum autonomy.
The ideal candidate has a good amount of experience leading development on a large game code base and has the ability to lead, architect and implement critical game engine components. The role requires prior experience developing for modern game systems such as PS4, Xbox One or Windows.
- Lead the design, development, architecture and implementation of the core engine gameplay systems
- Lead and build the engineering team
- Create game systems that are intrinsically scalable and cross platform
- Create or improve tools as necessary to support specific features/systems
- Continuously test, debug, profile, analyze, and optimize across all applicable platforms
- Contribute with innovative and original ideas on all aspects of game production, leadership and development
- Keep up to date on state-of-the-art software engineering methods, practices, and technologies
- Mentor other engineers as needed to increase their capabilities and productivity
- Work closely with the leadership team in recruitment and resource estimation and evaluation
QUALIFICATION AND REQUIREMENTS:
- 5+ years of experience in the creation and delivery of state-of-the-art, performance-minded AAA consoles of PC games with two in-game credits required
- Extensive knowledge of the Unreal Engine 4 API
- High level of familiarity and expertise with all areas of Unreal 4, including a detailed understanding of UE4 sub-editors
- At least one shipped modern console or PC title in the Lead Programmer role.
- Experience working with team leads to develop project structures, best practices, programming workflows and project scheduling. Experience working in an Agile development environment
- Solid working knowledge of all technical aspects of game development facilitating the leadership of programmers outside of core expertise
- Experience creating and managing source control and continuous integration systems for runtime and backend deployments
- Demonstrated proficiency in C++
- Ability to thrive within a collaborative environment, and both give and receive constructive feedback and criticism
- Proficiency with linear algebra and general 3D mathematics
- Comfortable working with internal and externally developed code and middleware
- Effective communicator and collaborator with engineers and team members from other disciplines
- Desire and demonstrated ability to mentor junior programmers and help with their career growth
- A natural curiosity for all aspects of game development and a willingness to work on a wide variety of systems
- Passion for making and playing great games, demonstrating an awareness of current titles, genres, and industry trends
- Excellent analytical and communication skills
- Self-motivated and passionate about making video games
- Experience with remote working
- Candidates should be residing in the EU
NICE TO HAVE:
- Hands-on experiece developing for PS4 and Xbox One
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, Math, or related field
- Experience developing UE4 plugins and tools for other team members
- Experience designing and implementing threaded, asynchronous software
- Experience with real-time physics, animation, and inverse kinematics
WHAT WE OFFER:
- Work-From-Home position for an undetermined period due to the current Covid-19 pandemic
- A fun and dynamic industry where you can make a difference.
- Professional and friendly work environment.
- Generous flex days and flex hours.
- Vacation time.
- Highly competitive group insurance.
- Tele-Health services.
- Access to training and learning programs.