This is a key role that involves a high level of interaction with project leaders across all disciplines and internal Amber leadership around the world. The Head of Design is responsible for driving, growing and nurturing the Game Design Guild within Amber, by promoting and sharing best practices, mentoring the Game Design organization, exploring and evolving creative methodologies to fit our projects and clients, overseeing the cultural alignment of the Game Design team and ensuring the high-quality standard of Game Design process and deliverables. Right out of the gate you’ll be making an impact on existing or to-be-released game titles with AAA publishers. It also involves working with internal and external clients, pitching new game design concepts, and understanding client vision. You will be required to work with a multidisciplinary design team to develop game design proposals, recruit top game design talent and manage all game design staff to success. This position will work closely with the Head of Product Development, Head of Studios, and other cross-functional product teams within Amber to understand and deliver against Amber strategic goals and product initiatives.
- Foster a culture of continuous improvement and innovation, pushing the design teams to meet or exceed the experiences and production values on their products.
- Coach and mentor our multidisciplinary design team and helping develop our organization’s creative infrastructure
- Develop and evangelize the standards for both the user experience and the game design process across the organization
- Influencing design thinking and design related agile methodology across the organization
- Establishing and developing best practices with the design and creative teams
- Working with other discipline guild leads to deliver against product and team strategy at an organizational level
- Research emerging discipline skills and techniques in the game design field and use them to expand the design guild capabilities.
- Work with Amber executives to develop a strategy and roadmap for the creative development that aligns with the division’s business goals.
- Ensure that the creative design team owns and drives a cohesive vision for their respective products
- Partner with the Head of Business Intelligence to develop methodologies for live events, A/B test features, game designs, optimizing for business-driven KPIs.
- Research, document, and communicate competitive design trends in games across mobile and HD (PC/Console)
QUALIFICATION AND REQUIREMENTS:
- 10+ years of combined Senior / Lead Game Designer roles or similar positions
- At least 3 titles in portfolio, from inception to completion as a design lead
- Experience in leading game design organizations and initiatives
- Knowledge of game design document format and methodologies needed throughout the lifespan of a project
- The ability to translate product vision to designers and others, influencing external and internal stakeholders
- Ability to lead design projects from concept to completion
- Experience working with cross-functional, international teams is a plus.
- Experience with game and user prototyping tools like Unity, Sketch, Adobe XD
- Servant leader
- Altruist personality, constantly seeking to help others
- Self-motivated and passionate about work
- Demonstrates proactive decision making, ownership and high initiative
- Strong analytical thinker
- Enjoys an interactive and agile work environment and collaborates well with various work styles
- Creative and sharp business sense with exceptional interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work effectively under deadlines and in complex business environments
- Must be creative with a unique approach to persistent problems, adding value to existing products and deriving positives from negatives.
- Must be able to take charge of any situation, exerting a dominant vision and encouraging others to support that vision.
- Must have exceptional communication skills and be able to bridge the gap between the business and creative sides of the division.
- Must be able to multitask and manage a number of different projects at once.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing (English)
- Excellent organizational, people and time-management skills