Art Director, Los Angeles
Join Amber to Inspire Our Art Teams and Delight Players!
Help us create world-class games across a variety of genres and AAA properties.
About the Role
- The Art Director will lead a distributed team of 2D Artists and Animators working on on an exciting new AAA mobile game focused at the casual market. The Art Director will oversee the entire development lifecyle and will be responsible for reviewing all technical and artistic assets, maintaining the artistic vision of the product.
- This role is based in Amber’s Los Angeles (El Segundo) office, with regular (quarterly) travel to our Bucharest office.
- Collaborates at the concept stage with the Producer and Creative Director to establish the visual style of the game;
- Heavily involved in every stage of a game’s development cycle being responsible for producing high-quality art for the product (2D, animations, VFX);
- Gives input on the scope of the game and partners with senior staff to support the studios and business;
- Analyzes product needs and determines the art asset list, appropriate level of detail, and necessary personnel for a project;
- Through pre-production, leads the creation of storyboards, logos, user interfaces, character design, environments and all other visual material and concepts;
- Keeps a close eye on the art pipeline, constantly checking in with the team to monitor asset creation from both technical and aesthetic perspective;
- Tracks milestones and ensures that the team stays on schedule, critiques and reviews art when it comes in, gives notes for revision;
- Motivates the team, keeping artists focused, and efficiently devises solutions to mitigate art product risks;
- As both manager and mentor, identifies the strengths and weaknesses in the team and draws out the hidden potential of artists;
- Responsible for the continuous artistic growth of the art team members.
- Degree in Game Art or Fine Art from a reputable university
- 8+ years experience in the games industry
- 2-3 games developed from studio to launch
- Strong artistic ability—drawing, painting, 2D asset creaton, animation, FX, and especially 2D, clean/flat UI treatments
- Significant technical knowledge in game development; demonstrated ability using Unity a plus
- Ability to manage remote teams creatively via team telecommunication tools like Slack, Skype, Basecamp, Trello, etc
- Proven record of effective management and superior artistic talent
- In-depth knowledge of all aspects of asset creation including 2D asset creation, animation, sprite production, UI, transitions and VFX
- Ability to motivate others and maintain a positive professional attitude
- Superior communication skills
- Loves games across all platforms!
- Willingness to travel to Bucharest, Romania (quarterly) to meet with key leadership and team members
- An exciting new AAA mobile game focused at the casual market
- An ideation team where you can bring your creative ideas to bear
- Great work environment, awesome people to work with
- Competitive contract monthly retainer for 6 month plus engagement
- Easy-to-access office located in El Segundo, California.
How to Apply
- Send us your application here: email@example.com.
- Please include a Reel or Portfolio demonstrating artistic vision and technical skills.
- Amber is primed to support creative industries by offering a full range of turn-key product development and live service solutions. The company maintains four service pillars: game development, live operations, custom engineering and development support. Established in 2013, Amber is Romania’s largest independent game developer. It has over 250 staff in its studio and its team hails from some of the games industry’s leading companies, including Electronic Arts, Ubisoft, Gameloft, King, Bandai Namco, Disney and others. The company is headquartered in Bucharest, with outposts in San Francisco and Los Angeles.
- Our vision is to be the game development agency of choice for partners and players everywhere. We aim to achieve this by assembling the industry’s leading talent in production, engineering, design, art and data science into our multi-track studio and service teams, in order to deliver a reference solution for publishers and developers. We also develop our own original games as a means to delight players and demonstrate our creative & technical proficiency to our partners, such as the award-winning puzzle game Link Twin, released on mobile and PC platforms in 2017, and the multiplayer strategy game Rumble Heroes, released in 2018.